FRITZ!Box 3272 – Service - Knowledge Base
Setting up the FRITZ!Box for use with a cable connection
With an additional cable modem, you can also use your FRITZ!Box on a cable connection. Since the FRITZ!Box establishes and controls its own internet connection over the cable modem, all FRITZ!Box functions (such as internet telephony, firewall) are also available without restriction in this operating mode.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Connecting a cable modem
- Either connect the cable modem to the first multimedia socket or to the socket that the cable technician used for the original installation. Only use the coaxial cable (without an extension) provided by the cable technician to connect it.
2 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
- If the FRITZ!Box is connected to the cable modem, clear the connection between the cable modem and the FRITZ!Box, then restart the cable modem.
Note:You can restart the cable modem by briefly unplugging it. It may take several minutes for the cable modem to restart.
Configuring internet access
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- If the FRITZ!Box is set to factory settings, set a password for accessing the user interface, and click "Register" and then"Next".
Fig.: Assigning a password for the user interface
- If the wizard for internet access does not start automatically, click "Wizards" and then "Configure Internet Connection".
Fig.: Calling up the FRITZ!Box wizard
- If your internet service provider is displayed in the drop-down list, select your internet service provider. With some regional settings, not all of the preconfigured providers are displayed until you select "More internet service providers".
- If your internet service provider is not displayed, select "Other internet service provider".
- Click "Next" and follow the wizard's instructions. The wizard takes you through the configuration of the internet connection and indicates when to use a network cable to connect the cable modem to the "LAN 1" port on the FRITZ!Box.
Now the FRITZ!Box establishes its internet connection over the cable modem.