FRITZ!Box 3370 – Service - Knowledge Base
Starting computers in the home network over the Internet (Wake on LAN)
With the "Wake on LAN" function you can start computers in your FRITZ!Box home network over the Internet. This way you can use use remote maintenance software to access a computer in the home network at any time, without having to always keep the computer on, for example.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The computer must either be connected directly to a LAN port on the FRITZ!Box or via a hub/switch.
- The computer must support the ACPI standard.
Note:The manufacturer can provide you with information on ACPI (Advanced Configuration and Power Management Interface) and the various sleep modes of your computer.
- The computer must be configured for sleep mode "S3", "S4" or "S5".
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the Internet service provider.
Important:The FRITZ!Box is not accessible from the Internet over IPv4 when used on a DS-Lite ("Dual-Stack Lite") connection. When DS-Lite is active, the status "IPv4 over DS Lite" is displayed under "Connections" on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Allowing a computer to start automatically when accessed from Internet
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Connections" tab.
- In the list of network devices, click the button (Edit) for the computer to be started.
- Enable the option "Start this computer automatically as soon as it is accessed from the Internet".
Note:You can click the "Start Computer" button to start the computer directly from standby mode. This way you can test whether the computer supports "Wake on LAN".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
The computer will now be started automatically as soon as
- the computer is accessed from the Internet over a shared port.
- a query is sent to the computer over the VPN connection.
After about 10 seconds you can access shared files and server services on the computer.