FRITZ!Box 4020 Service - Knowledge Base
Using a television in the FRITZ!Box home network
If your television has a network port or is equipped with wireless LAN (WiFi), you can simply connect it to a LAN port or the wireless network of your FRITZ!Box. The television can then access the internet and be used as a playback device for multimedia contents such as photos, videos, or music.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!Box automatically assigns the correct IP settings to all devices via DHCP. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, re-enable it:
Important:If the FRITZ!Box uses the internet connection of another router, then the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server is disabled. In this case, the upstream router must assign the IP settings to the devices.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the television
Make sure that the television obtains its IP settings from the FRITZ!Box:
- Configure the television to automatically obtain IP settings via DHCP (this is the standard setting for most televisions). Refer to the manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
3 Connecting the television to the FRITZ!Box
- Either use a network cable or wireless LAN to connect the television to the FRITZ!Box.
Now the television is connected to the internet via the FRITZ!Box. It can play multimedia contents from the FRITZ!Box media server and other media servers in the home network (for example computers with the Windows Media Player).
Note:Refer to the manufacturer for further information on how to set up the television.