FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
LAN connection to FRITZ!Box cannot be established
One or more of the LAN ports cannot be used to establish a connection to the FRITZ!Box. The FRITZ!Box does not detect computers, NAS systems, or other network devices connected to it and they cannot access the FRITZ!Box or the internet. One of the following error messages may be displayed by the device:
- "A network cable is unplugged."
- "Network cable unplugged."
- "You are currently not connected to any networks."
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Restarting the FRITZ!Box
- Unplug the FRITZ!Box for 5 seconds.
Note:The FRITZ!Box settings remain intact. The restart will take about 2 minutes. During this time, you cannot access the FRITZ!Box.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
3 Installing the latest software for network adapters
- Install the latest driver for your computer's LAN network adapter or the latest software for the device.
Note:Often the Windows Update does not offer all of the latest device drivers. Therefore, use the drivers from the manufacturer's website (for example Intel, Broadcom, Realtek).
4 Disabling energy-saving functions for the network adapter
- If energy-saving functions are enabled for the computer's LAN network adapter or the device, disable them for testing purposes.
Note:In Windows, many LAN network adapters allow you to select various energy-saving options in the Windows Device Manager. You can find these settings on the "Power Management" tab in the properties of the network adapter.
5 Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's LAN settings
Problems may occur when negotiating transmission rates. Therefore, test whether the connection can be established when you adjust the settings for the LAN port being used:
- Open the FRITZ!Box user interface on a different device.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- If "Green Mode" is enabled in the "LAN Settings" section for the LAN port being used, enable "Power Mode".
- If "Power Mode" is enabled for the LAN port being used, enable "Green Mode".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
6 Testing a different LAN port
- For testing purposes, use a network cable that is as short as possible (for example the yellow cable included with the FRITZ!Box) to connect the device to the other LAN ports on your FRITZ!Box.
- If your device can access the FRITZ!Box and the internet when connected to a different LAN-port, use that LAN port instead.
7 Testing a different network device
- Connect a different device to the LAN port on the FRITZ!Box.
- If the other device can access the FRITZ!Box and the internet, then the first device is either incorrectly configured or defective.