FRITZ!Box 5490 Service - Knowledge Base
Accessing the FRITZ!Box using dynamic DNS
Not only can you set up secure access to your FRITZ!Box from the internet via MyFRITZ! If you have a domain name from another dynamic DNS service, you can also use this domain name to access your FRITZ!Box.
To protect you against unauthorized access, the FRITZ!Box can only be accessed from the internet over an encrypted HTTPS connection (Hypertext Transfer Protocol Secure) and requires the entry of a user name and password.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The FRITZ!Box must obtain a public IPv4 address from the internet service provider.
Important:The FRITZ!Box is not accessible from the internet over IPv4 when used on a DS-Lite internet connection. When DS-Lite is active, the status "IPv4 over DS Lite" is displayed under "Connections" on the "Overview" page of the FRITZ!Box user interface.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Setting up dynamic DNS
With dynamic DNS you can always access the FRITZ!Box over the internet at the same domain name, even though the public IP address of the FRITZ!Box changes on a regular basis:
Note:Most internet service providers clear the internet connection each day ("automatic disconnection") and assign the FRITZ!Box a different IP address when the connection is automatically re-established.
- Set up dynamic DNS in the FRITZ!Box.
Setting up FRITZ!Box users
To access the FRITZ!Box over the internet, you must set up users in the FRITZ!Box and then allow them to access the FRITZ!Box from the internet:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "FRITZ!Box Users" in the "System" menu.
- Click the button (Edit) for the user who should be allowed to access the FRITZ!Box over the internet. If you have not set up any users yet:
- Click the "Add User" button.
- Enter a name, email address, and password of your choice for the user in the corresponding fields.
- Enable the option "Access from the internet allowed".
- Enable the option "FRITZ!Box Settings".
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Setting up internet access to the FRITZ!Box via HTTPS
- Click "Internet" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Permit Access" in the "Internet" menu.
- Click the "FRITZ!Box Services" tab.
- Enable the option "Internet access to the FRITZ!Box via HTTPS enabled" in the "Internet Access" section.
- If you would like to use a port for HTTPS other than the standard port (443), enter the desired port in the field "TCP port for HTTPS".
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now all of the addresses at which your FRITZ!Box can be reached from the internet are displayed below the settings for internet access via HTTPS. In addition to the numerical IP address, you will also find the dynamic DNS domain name and MyFRITZ! domain name configured in the FRITZ!Box. However, since the numerical IP address of many internet connections changes frequently, we recommend using the address with the dynamic DNS domain name or MyFRITZ! domain name.
3 Accessing the FRITZ!Box using dynamic DNS
- In a web browser, call up the dynamic DNS domain name at which FRITZ!Box can be reached over the internet. If the FRITZ!Box does not use the default HTTPS port 443, add the HTTPS port used by the FRITZ!Box to the domain name.
- If the web browser says that the connection is not trusted or not safe, confirm the security warning as follows:
Note:The connection to the FRITZ!Box does not pose a security risk. The web browser only displays this warning because the FRITZ!Box's individual security certificate is unknown to third party organizations that validate certificates.
- Google Chrome: "Advanced > Proceed to [...] (unsafe)".
- Mozilla Firefox: "Advanced > Add Exception... > Confirm Security Exception".
- Microsoft Edge: "Continue to this webpage (not recommended)".
- Microsoft Internet Explorer: "Continue to this website (not recommended)."
- Apple Safari: "Continue".
- In the corresponding fields, enter the user name and password of a FRITZ!Box user who is authorized to access the FRITZ!Box over the internet.
- Click "Log in".