FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
FRITZ!Box reports "Configuration of the VPN connection failed, because no virtual IP address [...]"
When you attempt to enable the option "VPN" for a FRITZ!Box user, the FRITZ!Box displays the following error message:
"An error occurred. Error description: Configuration of the VPN connection failed, because no virtual IP address could be defined for the user. Please check the network settings. Please enter your data again. If the error occurs again, please consult AVM Support."
1 VPN access cannot be used with Unitymedia Business
You cannot establish VPN connections to the FRITZ!Box if you are using the FRITZ!Box with a cable connection from Unitymedia Business with static IP addresses (for example "Office Internet & Phone", "Company Internet"). When used on this type of connection, Unitymedia configures the FRITZ!Box as an eRouter in accordance with the EuroDOCSIS specification. This means that VPN and other FRITZ!Box functions such as wireless LAN, DHCP, NAT, and firewall are disabled. However, you can still use the telephone functions offered by the FRITZ!Box.
In this case, use a different VPN solution for VPN connections to your company.
2 Adjusting the FRITZ!Box's IP settings
There is no free IPv4 address available for the user's VPN connection. Either the address range used by the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server includes the entire IPv4 network, or all IPv4 addresses outside this DHCP range are already being used for other VPN connections.
Configure the FRITZ!Box so that there are enough free IP addresses for all VPN connections:
Note:In this guide, the FRITZ!Box uses the IPv4 address 192.168.10.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IPv4 addresses from 192.168.10.20 to 192.168.10.200. If you want to use a different IPv4 network, adjust the values used in this example.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enter 192.168.10.1 as the IP address.
- Enter 255.255.255.0 as the subnet mask.
- Enter 192.168.10.20 to 192.168.10.200 for the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IPv4 addresses.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.