FRITZ!Box 6490 Cable Service - Knowledge Base
Network device cannot be renamed
Computers, smartphones, and other network devices listed in the home network overview in the FRITZ!Box user interface cannot be renamed. When you attempt to rename a device, the FRITZ!Box may display the error message:
"The name contains illegal characters. Computer names may contain only letters (a-z, A-Z), numerals (0-9), and hyphens (-). The name may not be made up of numerals only."
1 Name contains illegal characters
Remove all illegal characters from the names of the devices:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "All Devices" tab.
- Click the entry "Details" that corresponds to the device you want to rename.
- Enter a name of your choice without special characters for the "Name".
Note:The names are DNS host names. Therefore, only use standard letters (not letters such as ä, ë, ö, ü, á, é, í), numbers, and hyphens (-). The name may not consist of only numbers.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Device connected to the FRITZ!Box via the guest network
Only devices connected with the home network can be renamed in the FRITZ!Box user interface. Devices connected to the FRITZ!Box via the LAN or wireless guest network cannot be renamed in the FRITZ!Box.
Note:The FRITZ!Box displays devices with their host names if the devices send them to the FRITZ!Box when they obtain their IP settings via DHCP. Devices that do not send their host name to the FRITZ!Box are displayed with their IP address (for example "PC-192-168-178-20").