FRITZ!Box 6820 LTE – Service - Knowledge Base
Using an IP camera in the FRITZ!Box home network
You can simply use a network cable or wireless LAN (WiFi) to connect an IP camera (network camera) to your FRITZ!Box. Then you can easily follow what is happening in front of the camera with a web browser or an app, either in the home network or via the internet when you are away from home.
Requirements / Restrictions
- The IP camera must be equipped with a network port or wireless LAN. IP cameras with USB ports are not supported.
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
1 Configuring the FRITZ!Box
The FRITZ!Box is configured as a DHCP server in the factory settings. If you disabled the FRITZ!Box's DHCP server, configure the following settings:
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button. If the button is not displayed, enable the Advanced View first.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the IP camera
The IP camera needs specific IP settings in order to communicate with the FRITZ!Box and other devices:
- Configure the IP camera to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP client). Refer to the manufacturer for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.
3 Setting up internet access to the IP camera
The following steps are only necessary if you would like to access the IP camera over the internet when you are away from home or grant friends internet access to the IP camera:
- Set up the IP camera so that it can be accessed from the internet. If you use more than one IP camera, configure different ports for internet access in each camera.
- If you would like to use a a web browser to access the IP camera, set up a MyFRITZ! access for the camera in the FRITZ!Box.
- If you would like to use an app or other software to access the IP camera:
- In the FRITZ!Box, configure port sharing for the ports and IP protocols used by the camera.
- Configure the app or software so that it can access the camera.