FRITZ!Box 6840 LTE – Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot play individual media files
Playback devices or software (for example a television, game console, Blu-ray player) cannot play individual media files (music, image or video files) from the FRITZ!Box Media Server.
1 Changing file extension of MKV video files for Samsung device
Samsung devices cannot play video files in the Matroska container format ("MKV") from some UPnP AV servers, such as the FRITZ!Box Media Server. This is not an error on the part of the FRITZ!Box, this is due to technical reasons on the part of the Samsung device. Therefore, adjust the MKV video file for the Samsung device:
- Change the file extension of the Matroska video files from ".mkv" to ".avi".
Note:You can find information on changing the file extension in the corresponding manual, or consult the manufacturer of the operating system.
2 Installing the latest FRITZ!OS for the FRITZ!Box
- Install the latest FRITZ!OS on your FRITZ!Box.
3 Updating the playback device or software
- Install the latest firmware for the playback device or install the latest version of the software you are using.
Note:You can find information on how to update in the corresponding manual, or you can consult the manufacturer of the playback device or software.
4 Testing a different media server
As a media server, the FRITZ!Box makes music, video and image files available in the home network according to the UPnP AV standard. In order for a playback device or software to be able to play a media file, it must support the UPnP AV standard as well as the file type (for example audio or video codec, container format).
Not every playback device or software can play all media files. Therefore, test whether the playback device or software can play the media files in question when a different media server (for example Windows Media Player) makes them available:
- Set up a different media server and connect it to the FRITZ!Box.
Note:You can configure the Windows Media Player as a media server, for example. You can find instructions on the procedure in Windows 7 on Microsoft's homepage under Stream your media to devices and computers using Windows Media Player.
- Have the media server index the relevant media files and make them available.
- Check whether the playback device or software can now play the media files.
- If you still cannot play the media files, the playback device or software does not support them.