FRITZ!WLAN Repeater 300E – Service - Knowledge Base
Cannot access the Internet with Windows over wireless connection
A Windows computer cannot access the Internet although it is connected with the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater and can open the user interface of the wireless router you are using (for example FRITZ!Box). However, other computers or smartphones can access the Internet via the router.
One or more of the following error messages is displayed in the "Network and Sharing Center" of the computer:
- "Access: Local only"
- "Access type: No Internet access"
Note:The configuration procedure and notes on functions given in this guide refer to the latest FRITZ!OS for your FRITZ!Box.
Simply proceed as described below. After each measure, check whether the issue persists.
1 Enabling the wireless router's DHCP server
The DHCP server assigns IP addresses to all network devices connected to the wireless router. This ensures that the network devices always obtain the correct IP settings required for Internet access and communication with other devices automatically:
Note:We used a FRITZ!Box as an example for configuration. Some FRITZ!Box settings are only displayed if the advanced view is enabled. Refer to the respective manufacturer for information on how to set up other routers, for example consult the manual.
- Click "Home Network" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Network" or "Home Network Overview" in the "Home Network" menu.
- Click on the "Network Settings" tab.
- Click the "IPv4 Addresses" button.
- Enable the DHCP server and define the range from which the FRITZ!Box assigns IP addresses.
Note:The FRITZ!Box has the IP address 192.168.178.1 (subnet mask 255.255.255.0) and assigns IP addresses from xxx.20 to xxx.200 in the factory settings.
- Click "OK" to save the settings.
2 Configuring the computer as a DHCP client
To ensure that the computer always uses the correct IP settings, make sure that it is configured as a DHCP client (this is the standard setting for most operating systems):
- Configure the computer to automatically obtain IP settings (DHCP).
3 Installing the latest driver for the wireless network adapter
- Install the latest driver for your computer's wireless network adapter.
Note:Should you have questions, consult the manufacturer of the wireless network adapter.
You can find the latest drivers for the FRITZ!WLAN Sticks in our download area.
4 Configuring the computer's firewall
- Configure the firewall so that it allows connections from the computer to the wireless router. Refer to the manufacturer of the firewall for information on how to set it up, for example consult the manual.