FRITZ!WLAN Repeater DVB-C Service - Knowledge Base
Playing cable TV with the VLC media player
If you configured your FRITZ!WLAN Repeater to receive cable TV, computers in the home network can use the VLC media player to play the IP stream made available by the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater. In addition to playing SD and HD channels, VLC also allows you to select audio tracks, subtitles, and display the electronic program guide (EPG).
We used version 2.2.0 of the VLC media player as an example for these instructions on how to play IP streams with it.
Requirements / Restrictions
- A network bandwidth of at least 10 MBit/s is required to play back HD programs.
- The electronic program guide (EPG) can only be used in Windows.
1 Installing the VLC media player
- Download the VLC media player software and install it on your computer.
2 Downloading the channel list from the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater
- Click "DVB-C" in the user interface of the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater.
- Click "Channel List" in the "DVB-C" menu.
- On the "SD" tab, right-click the link "Generate channel list".
- Select "Save destination to" or "Save link to" from the context menu and enter a storage location.
- Repeat steps 3 and 4 on the "HD" tab.
3 Using the VLC media player
Selecting and playing a channel
- Start the VLC media player.
- Drag the channel list and drop it into the main window of the VLC media player.
- Double-click a station name in the playlist to start playback.
- Use the "Previous" or "Next" button on the navigation bar of VLC to change the channel.
- Click "Subtitle" in the navigation bar of the VLC media player. Move the mouse pointer over "Sub Track" and select a subtitle.
Selecting an audio track
- Click "Audio" in the navigation bar of the VLC media player. Move the mouse pointer over "Audio Track" and select an audio track for playback.
Using the electronic program guide (EPG)
- Click "Tools" in the navigation bar of the VLC media player and then "Program Guide" to display the electronic program guide (EPG).