FRITZ!WLAN Repeater N/G – Service - Knowledge Base
Attempt to set up a wireless connection to the FRITZ!Box fails
You cannot successfully set up a wireless connection (WiFi) between the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater and the FRITZ!Box using WPS. After a connection attempt, the "WiFi search" icon is permanently displayed:
Fig.: "WiFi search" icon
Important:If you are using a different wireless router instead of a FRITZ!Box, follow the instructions in this guide.
1 Correcting the FRITZ!Box's wireless encryption method
In the factory settings, the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater supports the secure encryption methods WPA2 and WPA (Wi-Fi Protected Access) at the same time. Make sure that your FRITZ!Box is set for one of these encryption methods:
Note:The FRITZ!Box uses the correct method required to register the repeater in the factory settings.
- Click "Wireless" ("WLAN") in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Security" in the "Wireless" ("WLAN") menu.
- Enable WPA encryption.
- Select one of the options from the "WPA mode" drop-down list.
Note:If you use wireless devices that do not support WPA2, select the option "WPA+WPA2" so that wireless devices that support WPA can also establish a connection.
- Enter a network key (consisting of digits, capital and lower-case letters) in the "Network key" field.
- Click "Apply" to save your settings.
2 Enabling the WPS function of the FRITZ!Box
In order to register the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater with the FRITZ!Box using WPS, you must enable the WPS function in the FRITZ!Box and select the correct WPS method:
3 Disabling keylock for the FRITZ!Box
Keylock must be disabled if you want the FRITZ!Box to initiate the WPS procedure. Make sure that keylock is disabled:
- Click "System" in the FRITZ!Box user interface.
- Click "Buttons and LEDs" in the "System" menu.
- Click on the "Keylock" tab.
- Disable the keylock.
- Click "Apply" to save the settings.
Now the FRITZ!Box is configured so that you can use WPS to register the FRITZ!WLAN Repeater.